Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award provides financial assistance in an amount determined by the award committee to be used towards the cost (registration, hotel and travel) of attending the ALA (American Library Association) Annual Conference. The award committee encourages every member of the REFORMA Northeast Chapter to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to participate in the American Library Association Annual Conference. Only active members of REFORMA Northeast Chapter can apply for this award. This award is not for the public. Corporate members and the award committee members are not eligible to apply for this award.
RNE created the award:
- To increase REFORMA Northeast Chapter presence at the ALA annual conference
- To increase professional development
- To encourage interest and continued active participation in the REFORMA Northeast Chapter
- To increase benefits of being an active member of the REFORMA Northeast Chapter
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Attend the ALA Annual Conference
- Attend two days of conferences
- Attend the annual REFORMA Membership meeting
- Attend the ALA exhibits
- Report in person to the Northeast Chapter membership on the ALA Annual Conference
The committee will judge nominations on:
- REFORMA Northeast Chapter meeting frequency of attendance (minimum of one a year between October – April)
- Submission of a one page essay stating reasons why you would like to attend the ALA Annual Conference.
Email applications to:
All applicants will receive an acknowledgement upon receipt of application.
**If the recipient will be unable to attend the current year's ALA Annual Conference and complete the terms of the award he/she must notify the committee chair and return the funds received.
For more information about the award, including how to apply, please click on the links below:
- 2019 RNE Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award Announcement rne_2019_iapda_announcement.jpg
- 2019 RNE Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award Criteria
- 2019 RNE Ismael Alicea Professional Development Essay Submission Guideline
Past Award Recipients:
- 2018 Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award: Susan Paredes, Community Library Manager, Queens Library
- 2017 Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award: Alexandra Gomez, Supervising Librarian, The New York Public Library, World Languages Collection, Selection, BookOps.
- 2016 Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award: Mary Marques, Multi-lingual Reference Librarian at the Free Library of Philadelphia (FLP).
- 2015 Ismael Alicea Professional Development Award: Elizabeth Garcia, Community Library Manager, Queens Library.