Lillian Marrero Scholarship
The Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award was established in 2010 to encourage library science students who are committed to serving the Latino community by providing financial assistance, and to help recruit and nurture more diverse and multilingual library staffs. The scholarship is named in honor of the late Lillian Marrero, a librarian of the Free Library of Philadelphia, for her excellent service to underprivileged communities, as well as for her outstanding commitment to representing, recruiting for, and promoting the REFORMA Northeast Chapter and its missions. A mural portraits her dedicated work to the Latino community in "El Centro de Oro."
Purpose of Award:
The Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award was established to encourage library science students who are committed to serving the Latino community by providing financial assistance, and to help recruit and nurture more diverse and multilingual library staffs.
Criteria for Award:
- Candidates must be currently enrolled (either full-time or part-time) in an accredited graduate library school (MLS or Ph.D.) program and provide proof of enrollment.
- Candidates must be a current, active member of the REFORMA Northeast Chapter. (Active status is determined by participation in RNE meetings, events, and/or committees.)
- Candidates should demonstrate an understanding of and desire to serve the Spanish-speaking community.
- Candidates must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. The scholarships are not restricted by age, gender/gender orientation, creed, national origin, sexual preference/orientation, or minority group association/membership.
- Applications may be submitted from Monday, January 1, 2018 through Sunday, April 1, 2018.
- The RNE Chapter Scholarship Award Committee makes the formal award selection. All candidates shall submit their applications by the deadline to the Committee, which will review applications and make its selection known to the Chapter’s Executive Board.
- RNE Scholarship Award Committee members are not eligible for the award during their committee service.
- The Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award is to be given annually to one candidate. If no suitable candidates apply, the award is not given.
- Applicants for the Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award will be notified of the Committee’s decision on April 15, 2018. The Award winner will receive $1,000 in two disbursements. The first disbursement of $500 will be made at or following the 2018 Joint Mini-Conference (TBA). The second $500 disbursement is contingent upon continued RNE Chapter participation: the Award winner will need to attend at least one RNE meeting or event within 12 months of the award, and participate in one (or more) RNE Chapter committees, excluding the Scholarship Committee. (Attendance and participation may take place either in person and/or virtually.) If the recipient is unable to use the award within the next academic year, he or she must return the award to the Chapter.
For more information on the scholarship, including how to apply, please click on the links below. Completed materials should be emailed to: Louis Muñoz, RNE Scholarship Committee Chair, at email@example.com; please write “ 2018 RNE Scholarship Application for [Name] in the Subject line. (Applications and related materials may also be sent via mail per the information on the Scholarship’s information page.)
For more information on the scholarship, including how to apply, please click on the links below:
- 2018 RNE Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award Announcement
- 2018 RNE Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award Criteria
- 2018 RNE Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award Application Form
- 2018 RNE Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award Letter
Completed materials should be mailed electronically to:
Louis Muñoz, RNE Scholarship Committe Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017 RNE Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award: Juliet Sanchez, library student at Queens College, New York. She is pursuing her degree in Public Library with a Certificate in Children's and Young Adult Services.
- 2016 RNE Lillian Marrero Scholarship Award: Georgina Rivas-Martinez, Librarian Trainee at the Freeport Memorial Library, NY and Graduate Assistant at the Long Island University Post Library Reference Department.